Everyone knows that the human body is very powerful in the ways our minds work and the abilities it has to heal itself. The amazing thing is that there are so many things our bodies do that people have no idea about. In this post, we list a few facts that will blow your mind away!
- The human brain has amemory capacity equivalent to more than four terabytes on a hard drive
The brain’s memory storage capacity is quite difficult to calculate because over time as memories are stored, some are forgotten and others are remembered indefinitely. It is also said to be unknown to scientists to measure the size of one’s memory. So, the human brain’s memory capacity is more than 4000 gigabytes.
- Your skull ismade up of 29 different bones
From an anatomy perspective, the human skull actually contains 22 bones. These consist of eight cranial bones and fourteen facial structure bones. All these bones are joined together by immovable joints known as sutures. The seven extra bones are found within the sutures and are referred to as wormian bones.
- Nerve impulses sent from the brain move atan average speed of 68km/h
A nerve impulse is the information from the brain carried through to the spinal cord, organs, muscles, and tissues. Nerve impulses also referred to as electrical signals, are created by the excitement activated in the neurons of your brain.
- The human heart pumps over 200 million litres ofblood during the average lifetime of a person
Whenever a human heart beats, 5-7 litres of blood moves throughout the body in a minute. This equates to 7600 litres of blood being pumped through the system per day.
- Afeeling of thirst occurs when water loss is equal to 1% of your body weight. The loss of more than 5% can cause fainting, and more than 10% cause death from dehydration
Drink water all day and every day!
- Teeth are the only part ofthe human body which cannot heal themselves
Enamel repairs itself by using minerals from saliva as well as the fluoride from toothpaste. If the tooth decay process continues, over time, the enamel is weakened and destroyed, forming a cavity. However, a cavity is permanent damage.
- Fingernails grow approximately four times faster than your toenails
Did it ever occur to you that you cut your fingernails more times than your toenails? Bingo.
- The human eye can distinguish between 10million different colors
Look it up. It’s true!
So, there you have it. The human body is THAT powerful! We are capable of so much more than we actually realize. Never underestimate the power of what your body can do for you.